Learn Abstract Painting Techniques
Time & Location
About the Workshop
Learn a series of techniques on abstract paintings and put them in practice through short exercises. Techniques include, graduated blend, scumble, dry brush, pounce, wet into wet, masking off, stenciling, combing, spatter, sgraffito, and impasto. We will be doing a series of techniques on one-two pages and then trying to incorporate 3 techniques into a series of 1-3 small paintings that evoke either an emotion or a season. The quality of the work is more important than the quantity and as we all work at different paces you may get only 1 or more than 1 completed.
Materials & Tools needed to participate (we cannot mail or provide these):
- Acrylic paint, black, white and at least 1 colour, but primary yellow red and blue would be ideal
- Stiff hogs hair flat brushes,
- Round soft talkyon brushes,
- Palette knife ( metal or plastic)
- 2 water containers,
- paper towel
- 2-4 canvas paper or heavier paper to paint on 3-4 @ 8 x 12 or 2 @ 16 x 24 (140 lb watercolour or mixed media paper is good .)
- For creating some more effects, if you have masking tape, old toothbrush, plastic or metal comb, plastic bag, scrap paper, and scissors are great, but not necessary.
About our Host:
Lauren McKinley Renzetti is a visual artist based in Toronto Ontario with over 30 years experience as an Artist & Art Instructor. She currently teaches at the Art Gallery of Ontario, Seneca College, ARTiculations & LucSculpture. When not teaching or working on her own practise she also is a Curator of Neighbourhood Gallery & a Scenic Painter in the film industry working on many shows including : Star Trek Discovery, The Expanse & Shadowhunters. Her work can be viewed at www.laurenmckinleyrenzetti.ca
Accessibility Level: Easy. This workshop can be accessed online through our Boomerang at Home online feature. This is a video conference experience that can be accessed via Mobile, iPad, and Computer devices.
Read our community Community Guidelines for Online Workshops & Discussions.
- Abstract Painting Techniques$0$00$0